ZIM Day 37

Cautiously, we descended the stairs to the basement of the surplus store. It stank of death in the stairway as I stepped into the gloomy cellar. There were three people lying on the floor. A woman and two children were lying together in a row. We stepped up to them, expecting one to sit up and attack at any moment. None of them did though.

Like the man upstairs, they each had a bullet wound in their head. None had bite marks or wounds of any kind. They must have been killed by the owner of the store. I’m guessing that he didn’t want them to end up like the rest of the dead. The three people had been laid out perfectly and had their eyes closed like they were sleeping.

Osiris spoke up, “This was my brother’s family. I guess its better this way.”

BW cut in, “We don’t have time to mourn. Where are the weapons? Let’s get a move on. This place won’t be safe for long.”

Osiris looked at him with hatred in his eyes, “Right this way, Sir!”

He moved toward the back of the room. There was a metal door locked with a padlock. He pulled a key from his pocket and unlocked it. As he pulled the door open it made an awful grinding noise against the floor. The light automatically flickered on behind it, revealing a room with shelves of weapons. A lot of them were older and dusty, but in the back, there were a few crates that looked like they had been well taken care of.

Osiris started shoving the boxes out of the small room toward us. “Ben, will you help me move these?”

Ben walked in and carried the rest out into the room. Then he reached down and opened the biggest one. Inside was an M2 Browning .50 Caliber machine gun.

He smiled, “I think I’ll be taking this one.”

Ben opened the next one and pulled out a Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 sniper rifle. “I think this is for you Stephanie.”

She picked it up and checked the chamber, “Guess it was a good thing I practiced with that cheap police one.”

Jeff opened the next box; it contained an M249 SAW with laser scope mounted on it. The automatic rifle’s black paint job gleamed in the light. He smiled, “I hope this fits in my mail bag.”

Anxious, Steffanie opened the fourth box and hefted out an M4A1 Carbine with a M230 grenade launcher mounted on it. The next box was holding about twenty nine millimeter Beretta pistols. Then Osiris walked back into the room and came out holding another smaller box. He opened it and handed it to Chuck. Chuck pulled out two medium sized curved blades. “Oh, these are nice. I can’t wait to cut one of those fuckers’ heads off.”
Osiris then brought out another box and handed it to BW. BW just turned away, “I think I’ll just stick to my revolvers. Hopefully you have some ammo for them.”

He set the box down and sat in a chair on the far side of the room. Each of us grabbed a pair of pistols and shoved as much ammunition as we could fit into the packs we found upstairs. We also found a few sets of night vision goggles and some MREs. We put on some army boots, gloves, and fatigues to keep the cold out.

Then Osiris looked at me, “I hear you have been practicing with blades too. I think my brother has just the thing for you.”

He went back into the small room and emerged with a long silver case. It was very simple, a few feet long and about six inches wide. I took it from him and unclasped it. I opened it and saw a long, slender sword. It looked to be an old samurai sword. There was also a wooden sheath in the box. I couldn’t take my eyes off the sword. In the dimly lit room, it seemed to glow before me. As I reached for it, I noticed that there was something engraved on the blade. I couldn’t make it out at first, so I grabbed the handle to bring it closer.

Just as I picked up the blade, was blinded by a flash of white light. Then everything went dark.


Chapter 38


Looking for more Zombie Fiction? Click Here for my list of Free and Other Zombie Books