ZIM Day 29

I chased him up the stairs, barely able to keep up. The bags seemed to get heavier by the second. I had no idea where we were heading, but I kept going. Osiris never even looked back. He must have been ready for this. I didn’t know what was going to happen after the hour ran up, but I was pretty sure I didn’t want to be around. I don’t know how far we’d come through the hall way, but we must be pretty far from the city hall.
I checked over my shoulder every few minutes to make sure the others were still behind me. They were right on my heels. Obviously, they didn’t want to get left behind either. I just kept going, step after step, through the darkness. I was completely exhausted, but knew I couldn’t stop. I swear I could just barely make out Stairway to Heaven coming from the basement of the city hall. It’s funny to think about, but I was almost laughing at the irony.
The steps just kept flying beneath my feet. I didn’t even notice the weight of the bags anymore. We’d been running for over thirty minutes and I thought I was going to pass out. Completely delirious, I just kept putting one foot after another. Climbing higher and higher into the unknown.
We must have gone up forty stories when I smashed head first into the door. We were at the top of the stairs and Osiris was waiting. There was a solid steel door blocking our path and I was happy to see that he had the key to it. He slipped the keycard in and it opened. I was momentarily blinded to see that we were outside. The sun was high in the sky, but it was freezing cold outside. The others came tumbling out and I looked around.




Chapter 30


Looking for more Zombie Fiction? Click Here for my list of Free and Other Zombie Books We were standing on a small concrete platform on the edge of the Mississippi. I could hear the music loud and clear in the crisp afternoon air. It was blasting throughout the entire city. Attracting the dead from all over to the city hall. There were none on the street when we climbed up from the river. They must all be at the source of the music. I was glad that I wasn’t there. Not wanting to push our luck, we stealthily crept toward the Grain Exchange. We were only a few block away and it was fairly easy. We had to put down a few straggling ghouls that didn’t follow the music, but other than that we made it to our building fairly easily.

I was about a foot away from walking in the front door of our building when Osiris’ watch started to beep. Then I could feel the ground shake and heard the explosion. Down the street, I could see the city hall erupt in a gigantic fireball. It shook the buildings and shattered the windows. I watched as the building collapsed into a giant pillar of smoke. It blacked out the sky and I slipped into the door with the others close behind. Exhausted, I stepped into the elevator and hit the button for the tenth floor once the others were in.

The doors opened at the top and I dragged myself into the office, ready to pass out. I walked through the main door and was startled to see a man sitting at the desk. He was covered from head to toe in blood and gore. Jeff looked up and smiled then took a long swig from a half full bottle of Captain Morgan.

“Jeez, what took you guys?”