ZIM Day 32

I woke with a start. I was back in the office. Still in the same chair I had drifted off in. I couldn’t help but wonder about the strange dream I’d had the night before. I didn’t want to tell the others though. They would probably think I’m crazy. I heard the others talking in the other room. I got up, hoping that somebody had made coffee already.

Osiris was hunched over a desk that was covered with machinery and computers. He was studying something on a small flat screen monitor. The strange man was rapidly banging away on the keyboard. I walked over to see what he was doing, but before I got there, Steffanie and Ben came into the room.

“Leave him be for now. He’s working on getting us out of here.” said Ben

“What’s he doing? How are we going to make it out of here? Where are we supposed to head next, didn’t BW say something about a third ‘Point of Interest’?”

Steffanie answered nervously, “BW doesn’t know where we’re supposed to go. Apparently, it’s up to this nut.”

Ben, trying to change the subject, “Well, let’s go get the others up and see what BW is up to. He’s been up on the roof with Chuck all day.”

We woke everyone else up and ate a little breakfast. We’d been rationing it, but it was disheartening to see that there wasn’t much left. The girls from the strip club didn’t seem too happy to have to share a can of beans for breakfast. They complained most of the morning, so after eating I left the room to go check our ammo supply.

Stephanie followed me in, “There’s not all that much left. We used everything we brought to the city hall. We have plenty to get us through a few more big battles, but I don’t think it’s enough to get us out of the city alive. If that’s even what the plan is.”

She was right. There was still quite a bit, but it worried me. I had a feeling that we would be taking it all with us this time. I don’t even know where we would look if we needed to stock up again.

We went back into the main room at about the same time that Chuck and BW came in. Osiris hurried into the room a minute later, looking excited.

“I’ve figured it out. We almost have everything we need. You guys still have the keycard to get into the tower right? Good. That should get us in and up to the top. Now to the good stuff.

Like I said before, my partner built most of this thing, but I think I’ve figured out how to stop it. From most of his plans and the messages he send me, I guess that it was kind of a mix between a biological virus and a computer virus. What all it does is a mystery. From what I can tell, it started as an experiment with microscopic machines. I think they were injected into living people and used to enhance bodily functions. It looks like they were supposed to allow the body to perform beyond its limits, both mentally and physically. I still don’t know how it all works and I haven’t seen anything from the dead that show they can do this.

The interesting thing is that they also allowed the body to keep moving after death. We never got far enough to actually make it work before we were separated. I also decoded from the messages that came later, that something went wrong. I think this is where the computer virus came in. Something caused these machines to make the subjects attack others. I have a few guesses, but am still unsure as to why everything happened the way it did. The important thing is that if I’m right, I think I can shut down the machines.

All of these computers are set up shut it down. This stuff should work to deactivate them all; the problem is that they are being powered by my partner in the IDS tower. I can remotely shut it down, but I would need to set up a link to his computer. The bad thing is that we have to be physically there to run the program. Luckily, I have been able to put it on this disc.”

I stared in disbelief as he held up a shiny gold disc. I didn’t understand half of what he was talking about.

Ben loaded his shotgun and said, “So when do we go?”

Osiris quickly answered, “In one hour, but we’ve got to make a quick stop along the way.”

What now? Stunned, I walked out of the room and into the bathroom. I couldn’t believe what I’d just heard. There’s actually a way to stop this. I splashed some water on my face and looked into the mirror. I blankly stared back at my unfamiliar face. My eyes met the icy gaze of my reflection as the world blurred around me.


Chapter 33


Looking for more Zombie Fiction? Click Here for my list of Free and Other Zombie Books