ZIM Day 11

BW and Chuck’s first ‘point of interest’ was the Carlyle building by the river. It is a new high rise condo building. I have no idea why they want to go there and every time I ask they just change the subject. We don’t really know how they plan on getting there while there is a massive crowd of dead people hanging around outside of our building. There is no skyway access to the building, so we will have to be outside in the open.

Our first idea is that we need more ammunition. Most of us are completely out. BW has a ton left, but it will only work in his revolvers, which he isn’t readily handing out. There is a Minneapolis Police Department right across the street from us. It is actually connected to our building via skyway. I figure that there will be plenty of ammunition lying around there. How we’re going to get through the locked doors to where they keep it, I have no idea. I don’t even know where to look. I think this is our best bet though.

Everyone in the group seems nervous about this whole thing. I don’t think anybody actually wants to help these guys, but if it gets us out of this whole mess, I’m okay with it. Pete woke up pretty pissed this morning. He hasn’t really said much to any of us today and won’t even look at BW and Chuck. Andrew is in pretty bad shape. I think we are going to have to leave him here until we are ready to go to the IDS building. Hopefully, he will be able to make it. Ben and his girls seem to be doing alright too. They are happy to be around some other people and up here on the tenth floor where it is safer. Steffanie loves her grenade launcher. She carries the thing everywhere she goes. It’s kind of funny, actually. BW actually lent his rifle to Stephanie. It has a scope mounted on it and is a pretty effective sniper rifle. She has been on the roof most of the day, practicing shooting. She has plenty of targets down there at least.

Chuck has been showing me how to use his machete this afternoon. I guess I was holding it all wrong. He explained the perfect way to take the heads off in one quick swipe. I guess he wants me to use the thing when we go to get ammo. It’s a good thing, because I’m totally out of bullets after the last encounter. BW has been on my computer for awhile today. I think he is in contact with somebody out there, but he hasn’t said a word about it.

I really doubt that these guys are just doing reconnaissance. There has to be a reason for them to risk everything just to check out a few buildings. They haven’t said anything about the other places, but I’m sure we’ll find out eventually. It’s hard to tell whose side they are on. Every so often BW pulls Chuck aside and they have a long discussion about something.

I am still worried about the dead outside. Why would they just be standing there? Are they waiting for us to come out? How many could there possibly be out there? And why do I feel like they know exactly what we are doing up here?

Last night, I had another crazy dream. I was one of the dead. Or at least I was watching through its eyes. I’m not sure where I was, but I was in a dark building somewhere. I slowly made my way down a hallway, searching for something. Or someone. At the end of the hall, I heard someone crying. I opened the door to my right and sitting in the corner of the room was a little girl. Just bawling her eyes out. I wanted to help her, but I wasn’t controlling the dead man, just seeing what he sees. I stumbled over to her. She was crying uncontrollably now. I wrapped my hands around her and picked her up. Just as I sunk my teeth into her neck, it went black again.

Then I was in the same room, but there was no girl. Just a bloody mess on the floor. I looked down at myself and realized that I was alive again. I turned toward the door to see a man standing there. He was wearing a perfectly pressed black suit. He was mostly bald, but had a decent five o’clock shadow on his cheeks. It went black again.

Now I’m outside. I’m the dead guy again. There is a grassy hill in front of me. I clamber my way to the top. As I stand up straight and let my eyes adjust to the bright sun, I see an army of dead. Just waiting at the bottom of the hill, waiting for me.


Chapter 12


Looking for more Zombie Fiction? Click Here for my list of Free and Other Zombie Books